Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pumpkin Kale Scones


One of my favourite birthday gifts this year was a cookbook I received from my mom, "The Book of Kale".  Kale is one of our all-time favourite veggies, both to grow and eat so I was really excited to try some of the recipes in this book, from Kale and Cranberry Crisps to Lavash Pizza with Kale, Mushrooms and Olives. 

The Savoury Kale Scones with Pumpkin & Cheese immediately caught the eye of my little baker though (he LOVES to make scones) and so we set out to try this recipe first. 

It. was. AMAZING.

Without a doubt, the best scones I've ever made - buttery, savoury and best of all, made with kale from our very own garden. The little guy loved going out back, cutting the kale for me and watching it become something so delicious. He made sure everyone who tried a scone knew that the kale came from "his garden".

Savoury Kale Scones with Pumpkin & Cheese 
(adapted from "The Book of Kale")

2 C kale leaves, loosely packed
2 C unbleached flour (we used whole wheat)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T sugar ( I used a bit less)
1/2 C cold butter
1 egg
3/4 C buttermilk
1/2 C cooked pumpkin in small dice (I used canned)
3/4 C grated cheddar cheese ( I used a bit less)
  • Preheat oven to 375 F with oven rack in the middle
  •  Blanch kale for a minute or two then chop finely and squeeze out liquid
  •  Blend flour, salt, soda, baking powder and sugar. Cut in butter with blender or fingers.
  •  Beat the egg in a small bowl and add the buttermilk, continuing to beat until well combined. Add to dry ingredients with pumpkin and kale and cheese.
  •  Mix with fork to just combine.
  • Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.
  • Bake 20 minutes.

So very delicious. The recipe makes huge scones if you follow the instructions to make 8-10. I ended up cutting them in half once cooked. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment